This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for The Malabar
The Malabar is located at the foot of the beautiful Howgill Fells, 2 miles to the west of the market town of Sedbergh Cumbria and within easy reach of the Lake District. Once the large bank barn belonging to Garths farm, the property sits across the yard from the original farmhouse. The property has six bedrooms with one on the ground floor and two on the upper ground floor. The house is on three levels, with the main entrance on the ground floor, access to the upper ground floor either from the garden or internal stairs and internal stairs to the first floor. Breakfast is served around a communal dining room table using locally sourced ingredients. Dietary requirements are catered for with sufficient notice.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 015396 20200 or email email@example.com.
• For full details and maps of how to reach us please see the directions on our website. Alternatively, you can plan your journey by car or public transport using a journey planning website; simply enter your postcode and ours, which is LA10 5ED to get directions
• The nearest mainline railway station is Oxenholme which is 8 miles away. Taxis are available at the station. If you require an accessible taxi this can be booked in advance.
• The property is located off the A684 down a single lane gravel drive. Access to Sedbergh on foot is via a footpath with gates and stiles and takes approximately one hour. There are no pavements between the property and the outskirts of the town.
Car Parking and Arrival
• There are 8 parking space approximately 30 metres from the front door.
• The driveway has a gravel surface with a flagstone area leading to the front door. This is well lit at night by motion sensor lights as well as wall lights that stay on during the dark hours.
• There are no steps to the front door
• The front door is 95cm wide.
• Assistance can be given with luggage.
• The front door leads to a small well lit reception area with a slate floor.
• The boot room can be accessed up one step from reception or from an outside door and has plenty of space for bicycles, boots and coats.
• There is a small cloakroom through one door off the reception area and up one step.
• Guests are then taken up a staircase into the lounge, dining room and their bedroom.
• There is one bedroom on the ground floor – Ladbroke – with step free access from the front door. A sofa bed for use by an assistant/friend or other family member is available in this bedroom.
• On the upper ground floor one bedroom has access through an external door to the garden measuring 160cm wide.
• Rooms are bright and evenly lit with overhead and/or spotlights and bedside lamps.
• All of our bedrooms have a good colour contrast between the floor, walls and doors, short pile carpet and our bedding is pure wool with non-feather pillows.
Bathrooms, Shower-rooms & Toilets (Ensuite or Shared)
• All bedrooms have large en-suite bathrooms accessed through wide sliding barn doors, freestanding baths and level entry, step free showers.
• The door to the bathroom in Ladbroke is 85cm wide.
• The shower openings are 59cm wide.
• The toilets are 43cm high.
• The bathrooms are well lit with overhead lights.
• The floors are non-slip.
Public Areas – Halls, Stairs, Landings, Corridors
• All public areas, halls, stairs, landing, are well lit using a combination of ceiling and wall lights.
• After dark the hallways and stairs are lit with wall lights.
• There is a continuous flight of 12 steps to the ground floor and 12 steps to the first floor with a handrail on one side.
Public Areas – Lounge
• The lounge is situated on the upper ground floor at the top of the stairs from the lower ground floor reception and can also be accessed through the doors into the dining room from the garden at ground floor level.
• The room has a mixture of seating with sofas and armchairs.
• Lighting is natural daylight, ceiling lights, spotlights and lamps.
• The flagstone flooring is heated.
• There is a wood burning stove at one end of the room.
• There is a small unisex toilet, with a hand basin, located off the reception area on the lower ground floor.
• The toilet is accessed up one step.
• There is no space to the side of the toilet.
• The toilet height is 43cm
• The toilet is well lit with a single overhead light.
• The dining room is situated on the upper ground floor with entry from the stairs from the lower ground floor or access from the garden through patio doors.
• The door opening to the dining room is 160cm wide
• Lighting is natural daylight and light levels are controlled by wall switches, with overhead and wall lighting used as well as table lamps around the room.
• The flooring is heated flagstones.
• We are able to cater for varying dietary requirements. Please advise us when making a booking.
• Breakfast and afternoon tea are served to guests at a large communal table.
• There is a paved patio area which can be accessed from the dining room through a patio door and from Camellia through a patio door.
• There are various tables and chairs available outside around the property.
• The nearest General Hospital is 9 miles away in Kendal, the nearest A&E unit is 25 miles away in Lancaster.
• The nearest Doctor’s Surgery is one mile away in Sedbergh.
• There is a pharmacy 2 miles away in Sedbergh open 6 days a week.
• Free WiFi is available in the property.
Address (Inc postcode):
Garths Marthwaite Sedbergh Cumbria LA10 5ED